Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:36 pm 

I've got 2 10ft satellite dishes that I use for TV in my house and shop. When setting one of these up there has been some guess work as far as where the LNBF antenna is located in relation to the dish. It's suppose to be a specific distance from the dish and also aimed at the center of the dish. Distance isn't that much of a problem but where it's aimed can be so I got my thinking cap on and designed a laser tool to help me see where that LNBF is actually pointed too. Here's some pictures that will show how it's used.

The photo above shows the aluminum plug that the laser is mounted in. It's a light press fit so it stays in place without any fasteners. The cable coming off it is actually a trigger switch for a rifle but I use it as a momentary contact switch to help extend battery life.

This picture is of the back side. Oh, and that gray thing on the right there is what's known as a C/Ku band LNBF and that aluminum plug will be mounted in the throat of that.

This picture shows that plug mounted in the LNBF.

This picture shows that laser alignment tool actually mounted in the LNBF on my 10ft Winegard dish.

This last picture shows the laser dot in relation to the center of the dish. Since the scaler ring measurement is the same in 3 locations around the outside of dish, this means that the scaler ring (LNBF Mount) isn't square to the dish face, meaning I need to do some tweaking on it. Measurement taken shows it's 2 1/4" off, which isn't an awful lot considering that the LNBF is about 34" above the dish center but it does need to be corrected.

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog